Monday, August 11, 2008

plans

today I received a letter in the post. It contained kind words and updates on life but there was one part that I do believe was the ultimate reason the letter was written. 

The part read as follows:

"I'm sure you'll do well, but sometimes the gods have other things in store for us, so don't beat yourself too badly when things don't happen as planned."

Last night and again today just because it was so amazing I watched the U.S.A. Men's 4X100M relay team beat the pompous French and totally demolish the previous world record. The interesting part about this is that the French told reporters that they were going to "smash" the U.S. team, and that was why they were at the Olympics. 

In the same way that the U.S. men took what the French team said and proved them wrong, so shall I take all of the consolations that I receive that things might not "happen as planned."

I am obviously not putting fame and fortune into my plans, but I am going to be an actor come hell or high water.

I want to be challenged by poverty, rejection and hard times. Then while I am being challenged and when the temptation is greatest to make new plans, I'll stick to mine and beat the French even though they may have a seemingly insurmountable lead.

This calls for knowing what my plans are and what they are not.

My plans are not to be happy, comfortable, or satisfied. My plans are to act, create lots of beautiful things, never stop learning, and love everyone.

I'm not scared to fail. I'm scared to drown, thus I leave the swimming to Mr. Phelps.

No comments: