Tuesday, September 9, 2008

fine, I'll tell you

I have decided, in order to spite my pride, to tell you why I feel so compelled to support Barack in the presidential election.

First, I can call him Barack in casual conversation. Everyone will know who I am talking about and best of all I won't be chastised for lack of respect. Barack and Kristopher are equals.

Not only can I say his name, but it is a freaking awesome name. Barack (trumpet fanfare), John (wait john who?). 

As I listen to the news or watch the commercials or read the website, I can sense that thing that
 causes us to buy pet rocks, chia pets (those were for the older crowd),
 tamugatchis, pokemon
 cards, crazy bones and the list goes on. 

Barack Obama is Cool in the most serious and influential meaning of the word. Change is attractive and as I heard one "pundit" say, he is "change incarnate." A senator, a black man, raise by his mother, and as before the list goes on. It has become so cool to dislike George W. Bush that it is even cooler to love his opposite.

Barack Obama just had what it took to be cool. He is attractive, his voice is mesmerizing, he is not a republican, and once again the list goes on. 

I cannot say with any certainty that the way I feel about Barack is secretly the main reason why other people support him, because even I have become pretty convinced of the words that I say in Barack's defense. I mean how can anyone truly make an informed decision about who they think the person that leads our country should be? We all come with so much bias about so many things. No wonder our country is so consistently split nearly half and half.

I can definitely come up with a believable, coherent and sensible argument as to why I will vote for Barack but truly, the biggest reason is because he is IN. So now what? 
I recently read a book about The Group Theatre and the 1930s, and it talked about how people within The Group were reading russian literature from the soviet union and ultimately it was out of curiosity and because the ideas were different. People like different when things seem so similar. Now for all of you fanatics out there don't get too caught on Russia, just look at
 how different it was.

There is, so I am told, a constant ebb and flow in the political ideals of our nation. We ebb a little one way and flow back the other after ebbing gets old or stops working. Perhaps we have flowed a bit too long and flowing has gotten old, has lost its cool-factor, its efficacy.

This past year one of my teachers mentioned a statistic (that I have been unable to find) that said most people don't leave the support of their parents until their late 20's. If this is true or a little bit true, then what affect does that have on those of us between 18 (voting age) and our late twenties (self sufficiency)? We probably have our health insurance paid for by mom and pop, we probably get help with the taxes from them, we might live with them, we might go to college courtesy of them, and so many of the concerns about which much of this upcoming elect
ion is based is stuff outside of a few people's understanding. This may be a provincial thought perhaps, but for some its got to be true. For me it is. 

So do I vote for cool, do I vote with my benefactors, do I attempt to be objective, do I vote at all?

I don't know (and according to CNN 7% of you feel the same way I do).

No comments: